Debbie

Debbie
Washington Yakima

Saturday, August 2, 2014

August 2, 2014 Our first email!

Hello!
The MTC is fantastic! I am loving it so much! My district is so amazing, I love them all so much! We get along great and we have a ball talking to each other. Which can be a problem sometimes because we are so friendly and talkative. Which makes it super fun! 
I am learning so much, but at the same time I am always thinking back to the Preach My Gospel class. We actually did a lot that gave me a good head start on what we are learning at the MTC. We do tons of role plays and talk about different important parts of teaching. Yesterday Me and my Companion Elder Langston did a role play with our teacher. He was a non-denominational Christen. The lesson went very well and we taught him about his relationship with God. We got him committed to be baptized (which was kinda freaky to do, especially in the first lesson) and towards the end of the lesson we talked about prayer we said a prayer with him and then helped him say a prayer. It was powerful. I really enjoyed it. 
Also, Dear Elder is still a great thing for the MTC, so if anyone wants to send a letter that would be great, but it only works in the MTC. Make sure to send it to the Provo MTC Mission unit 1. I'll get it that evening. 
I got my flight itinerary yesterday. Elder Langston and I (and all of the other missionaries headed to Orlando and there is  a lot) are headed out on ... the morning. So pumped! I am excited to get out there. 
I've been able to see lots of people that I know here in the MTC. So far I have seen Elder J.T. Ransom, Elder Connor Aste, Elder Mike Petersen, Elder Kenny Christensen, and on my second day hear I had an awesome opportunity, I ran into Elder Levi Masgarave (I'm not sure how to spell his last name) he is a friend from Williamsburg. So awesome! I didn't even know he was here. I have just loved seeing familiar faces, it makes my day every time!
I've been learning all kinds of cool stuff, yesterday I found a simple yet very powerful definition of praying with real intent. Praying with real intent means that you are committed to acting on the answer that you receive when you pray. It makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it before in such simple terms.
Yesterday we had an awesome experience with our district. There is a sister in our district that was converted 4 years ago, her name is Sister Sparks. Her mother is really un-supportive of her choice to serve a mission because her mom isn't a member. One of our teachers asked who had someone back home that they wanted to help and receive revelation for. (We were talking about receiving revelation through prayer.) Sister Sparks volunteered and we all already knew at this point about the struggle she is having with her mother. So she pretended to be her mother and our teacher role played as the missionary. As they were going through the role play the spirit was so strong, we could see that Sister sparks was indeed receiving revelation for her mom. Everyone was at least close to crying. It was so incredible and powerful. It also brought our district together even more. So powerful!
I have a few favors to ask, I had a duct tape cup up in mine and Isaac's room, it has some money in it that is tithing. Could someone make sure that makes it to bishop? Also, Peter (or someone at home) could you print off and send me a copy of the talk on sins and mistakes from the October Conference of 1996. That would be fantastic. 
I sent a letter home today so it should arrive next week sometime. My next P-day will be next Saturday, after that I have no idea. 
So  Peter, me and my companion have some questions for Florida. Any tips on dealing with heat and humidity? How are the people as a whole? Are they generally easy to work with and receptive or not? How are the members? Do they help willingly? Just whatever you got! :)
Love you all!
Elder Olsen
P.S. Mom, could you try and get people to email me so I at least have their email address (or send letters that would be great too) because there are lots of people that I could tell a few things to them. Thanks!

No comments:

3.31.26. Hawaii Rollercoaster ride 🌿πŸ₯•

 Proof of life coming at you from Hermana Olsen Ok, I've actually got 0 time..... I thought the mission would give me some good time man...