Debbie

Debbie
Washington Yakima

Monday, February 8, 2016

2.8.16

So, this week is supposed to compensate from last week. I am just sayin' this had better be good! 
Alright so to start off, food. So I was looking for something to eat one day and we had some cooked rice siting in the fridge and I thought to myself "Self, it has been a very long time since we have had rice pudding. So self said to me "Indeed it has, perhaps we should try making some."  So that is what we did. I didn't have a recipe, but I would have to say it turned out pretty well it was thick tasted close to right, it was sweet, it was creamy, and the right consistency, only two things were off, I didn't have any nutmeg only cinnamon and I only had some random freeze dried fruit from grandma Peterson not raisins or craisins. It was still pretty good though! Next food adventure, so there is one restaurant in my area and it is next to the only gas station in my area (Speaking of which when you get a receipt from the gas station it reads "Holopaw Citgo, On the Corner of Nowhere") and the restaurant is called "The Restaurant" It has been there for 60 years. Anyways, last time I was there I order a bacon cheese burger and it was pretty good, so I thought I would really go for it this time, so I ordered a pound of frog legs. Yep, you heard me, frog legs. It wasn't quite as good as I was hoping but it was still pretty good. However cliche it sounds, it did taste like chicken, though it had a finer grain. Here is a picture of them. 




So this last week I got bit by a dog! It's about time really. There are dogs all over Holopaw. Ok it wasn't anything but I figured I might as well bring it up. So the other day we were riding by and we saw this dog that had just gotten out of the fence and a little boy that was trying to get the dog back in. So we stopped and helped him get the both in and in the process of doing so we met the boys dad. We were able to talk with him and teach him some and we are still trying to meet up with him again. We have ridden by several times since then and one of the times, again nobody was there, the dog got out. And he wasn't really sure of what he thought of me riding a bike, I guess it was kinda weird for him, so he thought about biting my ankle. He reached real quick for my ankle, touched the skin, and then let go. Didn't even come close to breaking the skin. So I got off my bike, picked up the dog and put him back on the other side of the fence. Then as we were leaving the dog went under the gate again! So I got off my bike again and started toward the dog, it was starting to catch on, it stopped looked at me, and when I told him to go back under the gate, he did. So it was in reality pretty boring, but I figured I might as well try to get a good story out of it. The man that owns the dog is Anthony and I will keep you updated once we actually start teaching him. 
So as I was reading in Mormon chapter 5 verse 18 really caught my eye. I started thinking about it and this is what I learned. Mormon is lamenting over the state of the people. He says that "they are led about by Satan". He goes on to explain what it looks like to be led by Satan. The first thing "as chaff is driven before the wind". When you are threshing wheat you are trying to get the chaff separated from the wheat and get the wind to blow it away, you don't really care where the wind takes it, just take it away, there is no direction to it. The second thing "as a vessel is tossed about on
the waves". So to start off the vessel is tossed about with no direction. It goes on to give a few reasons why. "Without sail" the vessel has no way to be propelled. "Without...anchor" the vessel has no way to stay in the same place, to hold its ground. "Without anything wherewith to steer her" the vessel has no way to steer it, no way to control where it is going. When we follow Satan this is what happens. We have no direction, we have no way to stay where we are, we have nothing pushing us forward, we are simply tossed about wherever, having no control, and now steering. When Satan has gotten us to do this, he has won. He is in control because there is no control. God is a God of order, chaos comes from Satan. When we don't have direction in life, we are being taken over by Satan. When we can't steer where we are going, we are being taken over by Satan. When we aren't making progress towards something, we are being taken over by Satan. When we can't even anchor ourselves and stay where we are, we are being taken over by Satan. This is why it is so dangerous to go through life not having purpose, direction, and steadfastness. This is why people get in more trouble when they are simply surfing the web then going with a purpose. Or trying to burn time. Or whatever else is lacking in all of these areas. Satan would have us be purposeless, directionless, unmotivated, wavering, and so on. God has a plan and his plan gives us purpose, direction, motivation, drive, and steadfastness. It was an incredible one verse lesson for me. 

Have a great week and live with a purpose!
Elder Dane Olsen

P.S. I Passed my 18 month mark last week and the sisters that came out on the mission with me are going home this week. Crazy! I may have done the burning tradition. Don't worry the pants had holes in them from when I crashed my bike awhile back. 






​And yes I might have played with the WD 40 a little bit. But don't worry, it was safe....ish. Haha It has been a great 18 months!

No comments:

3.31.26. Hawaii Rollercoaster ride 🌿🥕

 Proof of life coming at you from Hermana Olsen Ok, I've actually got 0 time..... I thought the mission would give me some good time man...