Debbie
Washington Yakima
Monday, February 24, 2020
2.16.20
Talk given in sacrament meeting while serving in Jackson, Michigan
Sunday Feb 16 2020
Good morning. I have been asked to give a talk today on service. I am grateful for the opportunity to speak today. For two reasons I am grateful. #1 because I hope to be able to convey the spirit to motivate each of you to go and do something because of what I have to say. #2 Because I hope to be taught in being up here.
I would like to start off by reading some lyrics from one of our Hymns
Hymn #29 A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief verse
6. In pris’n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor’s doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him ’mid shame and scorn.
My friendship’s utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, “I will!”
What are we willing to do for Jesus Christ?
We can strive to live the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ as recorded in Matthew 25:
“For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
“Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me. …
“… Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
It doesn't have to be anything big. It could be as simple as shoveling your neighbors side walk. Or taking them a plate of cookies. Or giving a friend a call just to say "I am grateful for YOU."
In Mosiah a man named king Benjamin an amazing leader who speaks to the people, and says:
“Because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
“And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:16–17.)
A few years back President Monson gave a talk called "service that counts." President Monson said
This is the service that counts,...the service to which all of us have been called, the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.
As He enlists us to His cause, He invites us to draw close to Him. He speaks to you and to me:
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
“For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
To all who go forth in His service, He provides this assurance: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.” (D&C 84:88.)
From another hymn in our hymn book #237 Do What Is Right
In the chorus it says "Do what is right; let the consequence follow. Battle for freedom in spirit and might; And with stout hearts look ye forth till tomorrow. God will protect you; then do what is right!"
We are expect to do what is right. To go forth and do it. To take no head to what consequences there may be, but to go and do. And as it says so simply “God will protect you, then do what is right.” This is one of my Grandpas favorite hymns. He was an amazing man, and an amazing missionary. I think maybe because he understood this. About a month ago my dad sent me an email with a journal entry from my grandpas mission attached, I feel me sharing it could benefit all of you.
Wednesday October 27th
Today has been one of the best in my life. We started off by having a wonderful class with Mr. And Mrs Simmons on the fundamental principles. Had dinner up to sister Taylor and then we went with sister Taylor out to the South end to visit with sister Clattenberg. We administered to both of them, they haven't felt very well. We went up to Mr. And Mrs Mcginns and had a wonderful meal and talk with them, they are both going to join the church, they have both received a testimony from the Holy Ghost.
Mrs. McGinn tells us about last Friday night and this is the way it goes. "My mother was out to visit me, she asked me if I believed Joseph Smith was a prophet and I said yes without even thinking, that was the 1st I had really admitted it. I prayed very hard when I went to bed as I usually did to know if this was the truth and I ask God to reveal it to me as he promised. I went to sleep. Doug was out calling a square dance and I was home alone. I was awakened from a sound sleep about 2 hours later and I felt as if someone was very close in the Room, I felt as if it was a premonition of something so I went down and check the furnace, I came back to bed and was laying there when I felt a tingling starting at my feet and moving on up my body, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, again the feeling came upon me very strong and I received a burning within my bosom as I have never felt before and I felt as if I could reach out and touch a person but no one was there. I shouted who are you what do you want? Again the entire feeling came over me for a 3rd time and much stronger than the preceding 2 times. I felt my forehead to see if it was hot for I felt as if I was burning inside, but I felt cool, I sat up in bed and again ask what is it that the personage wanted and then I shouted out 10 or 12 times it's true, it's true, becoming louder each time, I turned on the light and began turning through the pages of the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price and the pages seemed to stop at section 90 and the 1st verse I looked upon was verse 24 which I memorized at that moment. "Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another." My prayers had been answered and I know that the holy ghost had testified to me as promised in Moroni chapter 10:4."
As Mrs. Mcginn sat there telling us this she said, "I know this is the truth that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God just as sure as I know I am sitting here before you, yes I had doubts a week ago but now I know this is the truth I want to be baptized."
Doug (Mr. McGinn) also had a similar experience several weeks ago in that he awoke and felt that a personage was very close and he said he couldn't move he was so entirely overcome and he felt that he knew the church was true from then on. They are very humble people and they are sincere and very prayerful. This is one of the rare privilege's of life to see how all doubts have turned into a sure knowledge of the truthfulness of the gospel. It has strengthened my testimony and I tingle from the top of my head to the tip of my toes when I think of how the holy ghost has borne record of this gospel to two of the finest people in all the world. I only hope and pray that the Lord will be merciful to me in overlooking my many weaknesses and sins. I know this church is true, the holy ghost has helped me many times he has quickened my mind that I have been able to understand the gospel and have been able to preach it and teach it in a limited manner. There are many gifts of the spirit and he works in different ways on all people. But he teaches nothing but the pure truth and is only in one organization The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
That concludes the journal entry.
Here is the rest of the story. Their children grow up serve missions, and marry in the temple. When Brother & Sister McGinn retired they decided to serve a mission as a senior couple. I believe they served in Southern California. In their 18 month mission they baptized some 200 people. Sister McGinn's health was much better not spending the winter in the bitter cold of Northern Canada where my Grandpa served his mission. So they decided to serve 6 month missions from October to April each year. They also set a goal to baptize 1000 people as they served.
About a dozen years ago the Sister Taylor mentioned in this post passed away. They had been living in Utah. My Grandpa went to the funeral and there met President Monson, he had served as mission president shortly after my Grandpa had returned home in the same mission in Northern Canada. So my Grandfather had met President Monson several times with the saints of Canada as a common point. They talked for just a moment about the McGinns. President Monson then told my Grandpa that, "the McGinns were the greatest missionaries in the church".
My Grandfather baptized two families on his mission the McGinns and another family, who's son was my Grandpa and Grandma's mission president in New Zealand when they served as a Senior couple.
Great things are brought to pass when we are diligent in serving the Lord. Again I ask. What are you willing to do for Jesus Christ?
President Russell M. Neilson our current prophet said:
"Regardless of where we call home, members of the Church feel passionately about the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. Thus, our greatest joy comes as we help our brothers and sisters, no matter where we live in this wonderful world.
Giving help to others—making a conscientious effort to care about others as much as or more than we care about ourselves—is our joy. Especially, I might add, when it is not convenient and when it takes us out of our comfort zone. Living that second great commandment (which is to love thy neighbor as thyself.) is the key to becoming a true disciple of Jesus Christ."
Brothers and sisters. As members of the church we have a wonderful responsibility to go about doing good. Just as the savior did. For when we are serving our fellow man. We are simply serving our God. I bear testimony of that. I promise that it can and will bring us more joy than anything else ever could.
I don't know how the atonement works. I don't know how it's possible.....But I know it must be. It is so real! Because of Jesus Christ, because of the atonement, because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I can understand the atonement....its hard sometimes, I know. But, I know it is real! I've seen it, I've felt it, and I have allowed it to change me. I bear testimony of these things. And again I ask. "What are you willing to do for Jesus Christ?" After all he has done for you. Just think about it. I say this in the name if Jesus Christ. Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3.31.26. Hawaii Rollercoaster ride πΏπ₯
Proof of life coming at you from Hermana Olsen Ok, I've actually got 0 time..... I thought the mission would give me some good time man...
-
Deborah Olsen 12:02 AM (16 hours ago) to me Its February lets gooo Practically I'm gonna try and do a little update since I chose to ...
-
Peter will be coming home on November 28! That is just 7 weeks away. He will be speaking in church on December 9 . For details leave a c...
-
Hello everybodyyyy I’m here again to grant you a silly little email depicting my current life situation. I am, in fact, still a missionary,...
No comments:
Post a Comment