Debbie

Debbie
Washington Yakima

Monday, June 27, 2011

Emily 6.27.11 Congelar = to freeze!! (I think!)

Its super cold! I can hardly believe it. I thought it would never
happen! But its officially cold! Thanks for sending me my tights mom,
they arrived right in time - for San Juan, its this holiday that is
supposedly the coldest night of the year. Its funny cause they say its
the coldest night of the year, but everyone stays awake and outside
until midnight, eating hot dogs of all things, cheese empanadas, and
apí.  They say that on this, the coldest night of the year, you can
walk on coals of the fire, but only at midnight. interesting
traditions, but fun! Pretty sure you can use any reason you want and
make it a holiday here. por que no? :) It was super cold yesterday,
may have worn my thermal garments, a pair of footsies things, two
pairs of tights, a sweater, and my coat... it was... constricting...
haha but warm. But they say its gonna get colder. Today we´re going to
go to the ferria de invierno... where they sell winter clothes. I´m
gonna buy a scarf and a beanie, and maybe some gloves. Hopefully it´ll
help!

I  can´t believe pageant is over already! Thats so crazy. I thought
about you last night, sharing your testimonies and eating cookies and
punch. I can´t believe dad isn´t gonna be there for take down, I
didn´t know it could happen without him. crazy! How is dad, and his
old body :) I hope everything is healing well. Pageant is an awesome
experience, and definitely better with the family. I think anything
you do is better if you do it as a family... well if its righteous i
guess.. And its practically July already! CRAZY! Its hard to believe
its summer there. Thats so great that Nat and Elise came to visit and
hang out. Sounds like you had a full house. I´m sure Elise did awesome
talking to all those girls. I wish I could have been there. Please
tell me all about it ELise. Did you tell me that Sally had her baby?!
I´m glad that she did, and that everything is good. Sophie, I approve!
Julie is still... waiting?? I´m so excited to meet all these new
members of the family. We should probably have a big family reunion
when peter and I get home. Hey! Have any of my cousins received
mission calls?? Andrew, Jaiden, Adam? I´m so excited for you all to
join us in the mission field. Its amazing.

Yesterday was the Piraí stake conference. It was super great.
President and Hna Calderon came and talked, and i just think they´re
amazing. President Calderón has got to be one of my favorite people in
the whole world. He is so... close to the spirit, powerful, and he has
this personality where I could just sit and chat with him all
afternoon. We had interviews this week with him, and he´s just
awesome. He talked about how if you´re a young man, member, worthy,
and 19 years old, YOU NEED TO GO ON A MISSION! He said that young men
can leave when there 19 and until their 25, but they have this age
difference only for the converts. If a young man is baptized when he´s
23, he can still leave in the mission, but if you´re a member, and 19,
and you have the priesthood. You just gotta go. He also talked about
how hard the mission is. he said its hard, and there I was think ya,
its pretty hard, then he said actually. Its not hard... its SUPER
hard. durisimo! and I have to agree, harder then I ever thought was
possible. But he also told the members to ask any one of the
missionaries that were there about the joy they have. and I just
thought ya. I agree with him 100%. ITs hard, SUPER hard, but the joy
is amazing. To be in the work of the Lord is an awesome experience,
that I know I´m never going to have again. This morning I read
President Uchtdorf´s talk in the priesthood session, living up to your
priesthood privilege, or something like that. It hit home with me,
weird, since I don´t have the priesthood, but It applies to
missionaries really well. That we need to study, receive revelation,
and find joy in the service. I think thats how it is. We can just to
find the joy by finding the love for the people, or we can choose to
think about how cold it is to wash your clothes, by hand...

Last night we went to our pensionistas house and made pancakes and
butter syrup. I thought it was delicious! It made me really happy. She
is the relief society president, but a lot of her family is inactive
and we had a family home evening with them. We talked about making
pancakes and how the family is like making pancakes. EVery ingredient
is important, and our Savior is the cook. He puts us where we are for
a reason. If we all do our part we´re going to have the most delicious
pancakes ever! It was fun, and delicious!

We have a mission goal this month of July to baptize 200 people. Its
only 3 baptisms for every companionship. As of right now, we dont have
anyone with a baptismal date, but we´re praying and searching, and
trying to do our part. Hna Patzí is great. She really is a powerful
teacher, with a strong testimony. She comes from a very humble family,
and I am learning a lot from her.

We found this young man the other day. Rl. He works in a punto - a
place with a bunch of telephone booths. While Hna Patzí was calling
someone I talked to him. He was reading his bible, and he shared with
me a scripture that he had recently found. Awesome kid no?! We wrote
down his name, and made an appointment to go back and visit him. When
we went he wasn´t there, but we went to use the punto again, and he
was there. We talked, and he asked me "Don´t you have a bible or
something?" I grinned and said "Yes, let me tell you about it!" haha
He came to church yesterday, but he´s an evangalist and... hopefully
we can explain the restoration really good and he can gain a
testimony.

Wow, times up! Sorry its late. We played soccer again today! SUper
fun! Love you all. Take care. Thanks for your prayers and support.

Love

Hermana Olsen


Note from Mom:  the weather in Bolivia is listed on the side bar.  I think it is 60 today.  Not bad for here but apparently not what she is use to.  

No comments:

3.31.26. Hawaii Rollercoaster ride 🌿🥕

 Proof of life coming at you from Hermana Olsen Ok, I've actually got 0 time..... I thought the mission would give me some good time man...