Crazy week, let me tell ya…..
Jk, every day blends together and nothing feels real
But all is well, and I actually love it
Diving in,
A little by the way, my mindset and motivation are a complete mental Rollercoaster, so if this email is going in 12 different directions, so is my brain. So apologies ahead of time…..
Thursday was buen kinda estoy luchando por mi vida, but no biggie. Our sweet, sweet teacher, Hermana Perèz, was having a hard day, and then we sang Gethsemane to begin class. I looked over and she was in tears. The spirit was so present. Following the singing, she got up and bore a beautiful testimony. Truly so grateful to have such amazing people who care so deeply about me and my district, as well as seeing her devotion to God.
Moving on, Friday was another strange day when I can't remember anything. But I recall my español teacher letting us know he thinks we’re behind, and that sent me for a full LOOOP. I walked to dinner in the deepest trenches, about to cry, and realized if I had one wish, it was to sit in my home all the way back in Manti and watch Gilmore Girls. (If you're reading this, please, for me, go watch some Gilmore Girls and report back) Unfortunately, the wish did not come true, but we did have corn dogs for dinner, so that kinda helped. 🤷♀️
That night, we had a pretty good rainstorm with lots of lightning and such. When we returned to our casa that night, we realized we had no power. So we proceeded to get ready for bed, showering and everything by flashlight, which made for a silly time. During our casa devo, all the girls I live with were sitting in our room, lit by a flashlight. I had the thought to have anyone share a time when our average day became special because of God's hand. Many of the girls shared, and let me tell you, the room became sacred.
I have constant reminders that the only reason the grove behind Joseph Smith's home is considered the sacred grove is because that's where he was comfortable, somewhere he felt he could tell God his concerns and worries. It was just a grove of trees, completely average. The reason it is sacred is that Joseph made room for God, and then God made it sacred.
So just like Joseph's sacred place, we have the opportunity to make our complete average lives sacred. We can make a random bedroom without power sacred. A conversation on a bus becomes sacred, late-night talks in a car, moments of reflection while reading the scriptures. Truly anything.Anyway, after our devo, our fan wasn't working, which is our only form of AC in this place, so we opened the windows. That was our first mistake; the second was sleeping on top of my covers. If you haven't guessed it yet, I got eaten alive by bugs and for the last 4 days have been fighting actual demons trying to crash out because my entire body is itchy. No grande, they are going away and we have been sleeping with the window closed since.
Saturday was good, low-key hard because my chocolate stash from the tienda ran out, and Spanish is hard, not a good combo to say the least. We also randomly started “solo español,” which means we wear a paper attached to our tags, and it means we only speak Spanish in class and are supposed to only speak it out of class. But the latter doesn't happen too often… anyway, we were not supposed to start till this coming week, so it was a little stress at first, no biggie though we perseverar.
Sunday once again is such a blessed day on the mish, especially at the CCM. We had sacrament meeting, of course, in solo español; anyone can get called on in the middle of sacrament meeting, so sitting there is a big stress because you have to have a talk prepared in Spanish. But luckily I did not get called on, but my poor comp did, she did great, I'm sure if it. Unfortunately, I had no idea what she said.
We also were asked to teach the lesson in Relief Society, to say the least, it went swimmingly. We were stressed at first because we thought it had to be in Spanish, but it all worked out, and we got to do it in English, which was a big blessing. The rest of Sunday was great. I even got a sun day nap in, and our electricity was working, so it was a good day.
We've been playing Ultimate Frisbee for our gym time lately, and it's been so silly fun. It's me, my comp, half my district of elders, and then this other district of elders. I fear I am not too good, but I have tons of fun.
Monday, we had our service project. One of the best parts of the week. We were assigned to clean and remake the beds in some of the hermanas' dormitorios. My comp and I, along with another companionship, were with a cute older guy who was telling us what to do. Let me tell you that man was on a mission. Whatever he was on, I needed it. He had us running down freshly mopped hallways, and he's running ahead of us and yelling “rapido rapido no tiempo” so we could finish more rooms before we had to leave. We were all giggling, it was so funny, and then he wanted to take a photo with us, but for some reason, I didn't get one as well. So just try to imagine six hermanas and a little Latino man.
Tuesday was another bueno dia. We had our Tuesday night devo, and it was so good. It was about missionary work once again, so very applicable. One of my favorite parts was when he talked about Jesus’s growing up and how we don't hear much. But we know one thing, and that is in Luke 2:52 “Jesus increased…” meaning he tried every day to learn, to grow, to become better. Jesús had to learn every day the ways of his father. Sure, he lived a perfect life, but that does not mean he didn't have to learn everything just like us. He did it line upon line. Just like us.
“Discipleship is not about doing things perfect. It's about doing them intentionally.”
Christ did everything with intention.
My second thought is about sacrifice. “For his sacrifice shall be more sacred to me than his increase.”
In the guide to the scriptures, it says, “In ancient days, sacrifice meant to make something or someone holy.”
Our sacrifices can and will make us holy! That is such a beautiful realization. That our sacrifices are acknowledged and accepted. Whatever they may be, God sees our efforts, and He can make them holy. I'm realizing that the one thing God already doesn't have from us is our will. He gave that to us from the beginning, and that will always be ours. But if we give our will, our agency to God, he will take it and do beautiful things that we could have never done on our own
Anyway, I just want you all to know that God will accept anything you give him with open arms. And he's proud of any effort we make.
The Closing song for the devo was perfect, it was “How Firm a Foundation”
That 3rd verse got me.
3.Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed.
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand
God's got us, he's proud.
Anyway, Spanish is hard, will not lie, but trying to have faith that God will strengthen me and help me figure it out. Because here's the thing, he promised us he would never leave us alone.
Love you all big time 🫶
God does too
♡/Hermana Olsen
No comments:
Post a Comment